Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wednesday 9/8

Rained during the night and it drizzled on and off all day until @3PM. I though I’d stick my head out the window a couple times today Chevy Chase style and move on down the road- BOY, was I wrong!! Turns out my campsite is in one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen. The views from the campsites were breathtaking and there was a huge arch just a few feet down the path to the camp amphitheatre. I walked the campground taking shots of the sun and surrounding buttes and mesas as the rising sun hit them through the remaining storm clouds. Packed up and started the 18 mile drive back to the highway. Saw lot’s of overlooks and decided to take a short hike to see ‘Delicate Arch’. The hike was only a few of miles but the increase in elevation (together with a departure elevation of 6800 ft) really gave me a nice workout. Photos are below. I didn’t get on the road for real until about 10:30. Lots of hills and passes, several strange truck behaviors, some Anasazi ruins and I finally get to Natural Bridges National Monument. Bridges are different from arches in that they are created by moving water and arches are created by wind, freeze/thaw conditions and other processes. At ‘Kachina Bridge’ I am fascinated by the twisting canyon that gives a clear view of how the arch was made. The rain had passed and the sun had just broken through when I heard a rustling in the otherwise silent scene. The sound got louder and suddenly I see a flash flood rushing down the canyon!! The still water in the canyon had been green with algae and was now turning into a frothing milk chocolate as gravity rushed it along. Where there had simply been a low mostly dry silent watercourse there were now waterfalls, bushes and logs churning in the foam and it was all moving. An island appeared with rapids on wither side and then the water fell into a giant bowl-shaped depression. It took 15 minutes for the bowl to fill before it overflowed and the water was free to move along the canyon floor. It was a breathtaking moment I’ll never forget! I decide to move on to my major goal for the day: Monument Valley. The Tom-Tom routes me 140 miles out of my route and I ignore it in order to take the short cut on my tourist map. Bad idea. At mile 27 of a 37 mile shortcut the road turns to a one lane dirt road with 5 mph switchbacks and 10% downward grades. It only lasts for 3 miles but I lose better than 2500 of elevation down the side of a huge butte before reaching the bottom. Another deep river valley followed by another 7000 ft pass and I’m finally on Navajo tribal lands and I can see Monument Valley. The valley is within the MV Tribal Park and costs 5 bucks (well worth the developed roads, parking and facilities) and I take lots of photos and do some shopping at the ‘trading post’. I decide that since it is now 7:30PM I will stop to camp and tack the 110 miles on to a relatively short day tomorrow. The commercial campground costs a mint but has full facilities and wifi.

1 comment:

  1. gorgeous photos Jay! I miss Monument Valley and really need to get back there. Are you headed back to Illinois via the Durango route? If so, do try to drive a bit of Hwy 550 that goes north of Durango up to Ouray. It's one of the most spectacular drives I've ever done. Keep snappin' those photos & blogging! Very much enjoying your trip reports!

    ReplyDelete