Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day Four

Left camp at @8 AM and drove on to Walsenburg where I bought a new air filter for the truck. The old thing is not happy with the altitude and I figured it might help. Got a fine chicken sandwich at Carl's Jr accompanied by loud hymns played on bells courtesy of the Catholic parrish next door then headed into the mountains.

My, how the truck did not like that! No terrible moments but the last 1,000ft of the climb to 9,200ft was done at 35mph with flashers blinking. Arrived at Great Sand Dunes NP campground by 2PM. Enjoyed the orientation film at the visitor center and walked awhile to get accustomed to the dry heat and altitude. Made a fine dinner including fresh tomato and cucumber gifted by the Rambows during my visit on Monday.

A thunderstorm is making quite a show and struggling to make it up the mountain to the campground. Lots of noise and bluster but not much rain yet. Tomorrow I will decide either to stay here another day or move on to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. I think the weather will be the deciding factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment