Blog Archive

Sunday, August 24, 2014

A rainy day

Up early to beat the ranger and get to my favorite mountain destination, I am greeted by a steady, light rain. Only briefly deterred, I don the appropriate gear and head for Maroon Bells Wilderness. Crap! There is a ranger in the kiosk. It used to be that if you got there before the rangers did at 8AM you could get in free. After 8 they sent you back and you had to take the hybrid bus up for $10. A cheereful ranger says that I can indeed drive up for $10 or for free if I have a National Parks 'Senior Pass'. I mumble that I'm 3 months shy and reach for my wallet. She says "Close enough. I'll take your $10 for the pass (they cost $10 and last for life!) and give it to you early!!" Whoo oo ooo! Made my day! The hike in the rain was glorious an I hung out with all manner of nice folks and critters including marmots, beavers and an awesome mountain goat. I have been here many times and never seen a mountain goat. The rain came & went and the sun made a few vain efforts but nothing could diminish the grandeur of this place. Later I hit downtown Aspen, ostentatious capitol of America for some new batteries and veggies. Witnessing a flurry of activity as a insanely well-dressed and expensively shaped woman (things like that don't happen in nature) is ushered to her limo by the gushing employees at the local 'Prada of Milano' I beat a retreat back to the T@B among the aspens, pines, chipmunks and bear warning signs. I'll prep for the long ride (through rain?) To Salt Lake City's finest KOA where a shower and laundry await. This KOA is a regular hygene stop on my travels west and it is usually 98 degrees or so. Tomorrow the high is to be 72. Might have to skip the swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment